Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crystal Fucking Castles!



This Saturday's whirlwind of shows in two separate area codes left me exhausted and humbled.

It was enough that I finally got to see the band that provided the soundtrack of my childhood in Tears For Fears (Tears For Fears, the show is another story.), but to make it back to TO for Crystal Castles' sweaty set was more than a fitting end to my night.

The funny part was, I saw Fugazi in that very same venue 15 years ago. I watched Ian Mackaye mourn over the loss of his prized Gibson SG, his one and only axe. I'm sure none of the kids at this show were aware of that fact, let alone care. It was basically the same punk spirit, though.

It was a mess of punk proportions, with Alice Glass' junkie-chic vocalizing and egging on the hipster crowd, the tempo of all their songs faster and louder, paired with Ethan's cacophony of sound and lights. They really claim to be a punk band, dismissing the disco beats as incindental.

It moved me the same as that band I saw there some 15 years back.

I recall every summer, having that one claustrophobic, hot, smelly, club show, rubbing against other wet entities. And none of us in that room ever making a move towards the door. Because it was THE show that defined THAT VERY summer.

Crystal Castles last Saturday was THAT very show.

Here is a sample of what I saw. Imagine it twice as fast and Alice acting like a crazy fucking junkie.

No comments: