Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Afghan Fucking Whigs!



My friend Berlinda just posted an Afghan Whigs love-in on her blog. Check it out by clicking on the link below:

http://greetings2thenewbrunette.blogspot.com/2010/08/song-du-jour-when-we-two-parted-afghan.html

I figured that I should post my own Afghan Whigs love-in as well.

I acquired Gentlemen in the winter of '93, and was my driving soundtrack for the season. I could still feel the snow drifting across me while listening to, "When We Two Parted." That slow tempo, the slide guitar howling with the wind, Greg Dulli's dark intentions . . .

Gentlemen was a masterpiece. They continued the darkness and misery with Black Love, with tinges of James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. Their last studio album was 1965, before Dulli committed himself to doing movie work, citing the strain of geographical distance as the band's demise.

Here is a live clip of "My Curse," vocalized by Marcy Mays from Scrawl. It moves me to fuck.

1 comment:

B. Recacho said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Victor! I should mention that it was the inclusion of "When We Two Parted" on your excellent mix "Un Coeur En Hiver" that introduced me to the song, which led to the purchase of "Gentlemen" (dot dot dot)!