Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Fucking National!



I'm not one for trying on new music. You can ask anybody. I'm the worst for bands with the hype machine behind them, or just acts that a lot of people like, I'm not into it. I don't buy that shit. I can think for myself, thanks.


But there was something about slowly drifting off into sleep late last night, after my husbandly duties were fulfilled, and I'm just looking for something, some surface noise to leave on while closing my eyes into oblivion. I saw this band on Austin City Limits, that caught my ear(before that ear started eavesdropping on the pillow). They were The National.

I've heard of them before. Took a pass. But something about the ACL performance caught me. I grabbed a copy of High Violet, and I was floored!

I even had a copy of "Mr. November," somewhere lying around and I couldn't put 2 and 2 together. I'm fickle like that with music. Some act has to strike me somewhat profoundly for me to somehow even remember who they are.

The singer, Matt Berninger, is nothing special from a technical standpoint. A lukewarm baritone if that. But something about the way he emoted his delivery just drove his sorrow to the pit of my stomach. It helped that the group sounded so tensely versatile, that they could have broken my heart at will!

As I will somehow reach back into their back catalogue(thanks, internet!), I suggest that maybe you should pick up, High Violet.

This band will break your heart.

Check out "Bloodbuzz, Ohio," below! And someone click to the right and BUY ME A COFFEE!

No comments: