Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Download This! Disc 1: Don't Be Afraid To Crack A Smile


don't be afraid to crack a smile.

01 The Super Friendz - 10 Lbs.
02 Girls - Lust For Life
03 Keane - This Is The Last Time
04 The National - Sorrow
05 Ra Ra Riot - Too Dramatic
06 a-Ha - The Swing Of Things
07 Goldfrapp - Believer
08 Junior Boys - In the Morning
09 Kisses - Bermuda
10 Gustavo Santaolalla - Chipi Chipi
11 Marina And the Diamonds - Shampain
12 Prince - I Wish U Heaven
13 Theophilus London ft. Solonge Knowles & Devonte Hynes - Flying Overseas
14 Tricky Woo - Living In the Danger Zone
15 Matt And Kim - Where You're Coming From
16 The Drums - It Will All End In Tears
17 White Lies - The Power And the Glory
18 Europe - The Time Has Come
19 The Rheostatics - Alomar
20 Local Natives - Who Knows Who Cares
21 Dinosaur Jr. - Thumb

download below:
don't be afraid to crack a smile


Some Bits . . .
- You gotta love The Super Friendz! Matt Murphy went on to form The Flashing Lights, bringing crappy revivalist cock rock to the clubs. It wasn't to my taste, so I'm rooting for the Friendz. They have a blog over here:
http://www.superfriendzsite.blogspot.com/


- The a-Ha song was from their ill-fated Scoundrel Days album. It was the album after their big smash Hunting High And Low. I had awful high expectations for this record, but no matter what, I can't get into it. It was a slight departure from pop-sensible songwriting, to say the least.


- To cheer me up, my brother took me to see Tricky Woo at the Rivoli the day after I got my hand crushed by a machine in the factory. I was all drugged up, and my hand mummified. In the middle of one of their encores, the lead singer went into the crowd and started a rock-and-roll-clap-a-thon, making sure everybody was in participation. When he got to me, he tried his hardest to get me to slam my hands together. I showed him my bandaged hand, he shrugged a 'fuck it,' shrug and moved on.

- Dave Bidini from The Rheostatics is my FB friend! Check them out over here:
www.rheostatics.ca and buy their albums! This song is to celebrate Roberto Alomar's induction to Cooperstown.

- The title is from the Theophilus London track. I like how that Prince song and his tie together. I like how that title encourages joy. We all get sad from time to time, but the best strategy to bounce out of it is to find any little thing that makes you happy, and hold on to it dearly. Then celebrate it often.

- The new White Lies album is okay. I was ready to say that they make a better Tears For Fears record than Tears For Fears ever could, but really can't. Harry McVeigh's vocal delivery is almost the same as Roland Orzabal's, but that's about it. TFF has more dimensions. Whoever made that initial comparison is retarded.


- The Europe song is one of my favourites. You can hear The Final Countdown album revisited in the Hot Rod soundtrack. John Norum's beautifully executed guitar work is all over it. Oh yeah, he's easy on the eyes as well.

- Oh, J. Mascis and Dinosaur Jr. There was a point in time there in the early 90's where I made sure I saw these 'alter-NATIVE,' bands while they were around. I feel that I caught all of the important ones: Sonic Youth, Eric's Trip, PJ Harvey, FUGAZI, Lush, Ministry, Pearl Jam, Redd Kross, Belly, etc, etc. The only bands I regret not seeing are The Pixies (who have reunited, and for some reason provide no incentive to see them) and Dinosaur Jr. I don't think my ears can take it, unless I want my inner woofers blown.

(Make sure you click on the upper right hand button to BUY ME A COFFEE! An XL at Horton's is $1.74. I know you rich fuckers can afford that!)

No comments: